- Fire Prevention Night – Every year, during National Fire Prevention Week the Wissahickon Fire Company hosts our Annual Fire Prevention Open House. Throughout the night you can see our trucks, try on gear, meet our firefighters, sparky and patches, and watch various demonstrations.
- Classroom, school, and day care visits – Throughout the year, the Wissahickon Fire Company visits the schools and day centers in our coverage area. These visits primarily occur during Fire Prevention week each October. However, we are more than glad to schedule visits at anytime throughout the year for groups of any size. To arrange for a visit send an email to
- Fire House Tours – We are often contacted by local organizations for both children and or adults, to provide tours of our fire stations. During these tours you get to see the fire trucks, all the tools on the truck, and try on a Firefighters gear as well as learn about the fire company and fire safety. To arrange for a tour send an e-mail to
- Rob Harris
- Phone- (267)644-9494
- Email- email@example.com
Electrical / Heating information
- Keep space heaters at least three (3) feet away from anything flammable (including walls!).
- Only use space heaters that have been marked as approved by an independent testing lab (i.e. UL listed).
- Get your central-heating professionally checked before each season.
- Get your chimney inspected yearly and cleaned when needed.
- Use a fireplace screen to catch the sparks.
- Keep fireplace fires small. Indoor bonfires ARE NOT recommended.
- NEVER burn trash in your fireplace. Burn only untreated wood in your fireplace.
- NEVER use or store propane gas tanks inside your home.
- Have your woodstove inspected to ensure it meets local installation codes. Inspect the stove once a year.
- Use only cast-iron or steel wood stoves that have been labeled as approved by an independent testing lab.
- Be sure that fuses and circuit breakers are designed to handle the amperage loads for the circuit they are protecting.
- Use only one heat producing appliance on the same circuit at the same time so as to not overload the circuit.
- Install ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCI’s) for all kitchen, bathroom, outdoor, basement, and garage outlets (or anywhere else where water may be nearby).
- Replace damaged appliance and extension cords. NEVER use multiple extension cords.
- DO NOT run extension cords where they can be damaged (i.e. under carpets, across doorways).
- DO NOT let extension cords get pinched under furniture or between furniture and walls.
- If any electrical device you are using feels hot or smells funny, unplug it IMMEDIATELY and have the device repaired or replaced.
- Place smoke detectors outside of the bedroom area(s).
- Place a smoke detector on each level of your home.
- Test your smoke detector MONTHLY.
- Replace the battery in each smoke detector every six months.
- Replace the battery sooner if your smoke detector emits a chirping sound.
- Get familiar with the sound of your smoke detector.
- When your alarm goes off get out and call 911.
(Often called the silent killer)
- CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home and in other locations where required by applicable laws, codes or standards. For the best protection, interconnect all CO alarms throughout the home. When one sounds, they all sound.
- Choose a CO alarm that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
- If the audible trouble signal sounds, check for low batteries. If the battery is low, replace it. If it still sounds, call the fire department.
- If the CO alarm sounds, immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door. Make sure everyone inside the home is accounted for. Call for help from a fresh air location and stay there until emergency personnel arrives.
- Plan and practice escape routes BEFORE there is a fire. Hold fire drills at least twice a year.
- Decide on a designated meeting spot OUTSIDE of your home for family members evacuating the home.
- Know at least two unobstructed exits (including windows) from each room in the house (where possible).
- Keep ALL combustible materials and flammable liquids AWAY from furnaces and water heaters.
- Obtain TOT FINDER decals and affix them on outside windows of children’s rooms and to the bottom corner of interior doors to children’s rooms. You can also use these decals to mark the location of bed-ridden family members.
- ALWAYS get out of the house first if you suspect a problem. THEN call 911.
- Store gasoline in an approved metal container with a spring-loaded flapper on the spout.
While these tips MIGHT not prevent a fire or accident from happening at your home, they are excellent measures to greatly lessen the chance of problems. Use these tips and teach them to others to protect yourself and those around you.